Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 45 mins
This will be the same as if you cooked the entire pig underground in an imu, and it can be done in your own oven on a smaller scale. It comes out exactly the same. If you have any questions e-mail me: AlanLeonetti@q.com
- Trim any excess fat from the roast.
- Make several shallow long cuts along the roast or pierce liberally with a fork. (This allows the salt and liquid smoke to penetrate the meat.).
- Rub with salt, garlic, ginger, and liquid smoke. Wrap the roast with banana leaf or in the absence of same, place whole bananas on top of meat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the ribs from the ti leaves and wrap over the banana leaf. Substitute aluminum foil, if ti leaves are not available. (Ti leaves can often be obtained from a local florist). Tie securely with twine.
- Roast in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes per pound.
- When meat is done, remove ti leaves, banana leaf (or bananas) and pull the pork from the bone with 2 forks.