Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Super yummy, even people who think they don't like kale like this salad.
- 1 medium apple, julienned thinly, tossed in
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups julienned kale leaves, stems discarded (red Russian or tuscan kale is great)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced and julienned fennel bulb
- 1⁄4 cup craisins
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup almonds, ground (ground almond flour, found in the bulk section of grocery stores)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- I start by making the dressing first in a high speed blender until smooth, then mixing it throughly with the kale to help soften it. The dressing includes the almond flour, vinegar, maple syrup, water, garlic, mustard, salt, pepper and curry powder.
- After the kale has been mixed with the dressing, toss the remaining ingredients with the kale. It is better if it sits a while before eating so the flavors can blend, but it is not essential. If you cannot find ground almond flour, you can use raw whole almonds but it will take more powerful blending to make it into a smooth and creamy dressing.
Loved this salad with curried mushroom lentil burger. The salad was the perfect compliment for this meal. Loved the combination of the apple and other ingredients. The dressing was such a surprise.Loved it.