Recipe by evelyn/athens
A refreshing salad using squid. Try it...there's more than one way to eat your calamari. This has 3 hours chilling time.
Top Review by *Parsley*
I love calamari and I was happy to find this great new way to eat it. I made this just as written and wouldn't change a thing. A nice sprinkle of feta could be a great garnish for this salad. Thanx for sharing this great calamari recipe!
- 2⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs squid, cleaned and cut into 1/2 inch rings and pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut into julienne strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin rings, separated, and kept in ice water
- 1⁄2 cup pitted kalamata olive, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together vinegar, basil, oregano, parsley, garlic, sugar and salt and pepper to taste; add oil in a thin stream, whisking until the dressing becomes emulsified.
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook squid for exactly 45 seconds (water probably won’t return to a boil in that time).
- Drain and refresh under cold water.
- Place the squid in a bowl along with the vegetables and olives and pour dressing over.
- Toss to coat.
- Let the salad marinate, covered and chilled, for at least 3 hours and up to 24 before serving.