Recipe by MommyMakes
Oh Man! Cook & Prep times will be different according to your ice cream maker.
Top Review by Tinysmom
This is probably the best ice cream I have ever made. The recipe makes a generous 4-6 servings since everyone wants seconds. I toasted almonds on the stove in butter until golden. Chilled them in the fridge and stirred them in last. I did add a pinch of salt to the recipe along with 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract. I like my ice cream salty/sweet hence the additions. I used a Cuisinart ice cream mixer and I am going to fiddle with the recipe so I can make about 1/3 more to fit my mixer.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 6 large egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, milk, sugar, Kahlua and espresso powder.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks until thickened.
- Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks.
- Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, to the hot cream.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze overnight until very firm.