Crushed Coffee Bean Ice Cream
very intense coffee ice cream Source: "Fine Cooking"
- Ready In:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup coffee beans, roasted for 10 minutes at 400 degrees f and crushed
- 8 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, milk, and crushed coffee beans to just under a boil.
- Remove from the heat and let stand at least 1 hour for the beans to infuse their flavor.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
- Pour the cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking until well blended.
- Return this mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens slightly, enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve and chill.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was, as the recipe states, an extremely intense coffee flavor -- almost too much so. I imagine it would change with the beans you used and mixed and how long you roasted the beans for. I think if I made it again, I would use some Mocha and regular coffee. However, I have a Kitchen Aid ice cream maker and I couldn't get this recipe to "expand" much so I won't be making it again. I made the recipe as noted and chilled overnight. I will note that what ice cream I did get made, it was very smooth, but extremely hard (and it's not from my freezer temp). This was good...but my search continues. Thanks for sharing.Reply
Although I haven't completed the whole recipe yet, I feel I need to say !!!CAUTION!!!CAUTION!!! DO NOT use ground beans in this recipe! Follow the recipe as listed. If you must use ground coffee beans, you MUST use a small mesh infuser or muslin to maintain the integrity of the custard in this recipe! Good luck.Reply
see 6 more