Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Try this one its very tasty and easy to make. Recipe can be doubled for a very large crowd or occasion. This was one of the last recipes given to me by my friend Marjorie Cottom who died of cancer in the year 2001.
- 4 lbs shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 green pepper, shredded
- 1⁄2 sweet red pepper, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 celery rib, shredded
- 1⁄2 white onions or 1⁄2 red onion, shredded
- 3 fluid ounces apple cider vinegar
- 3 ounces frenches prepared mustard
- 2 ounces ketchup
- 2 ounces sour cream
- 1 ounce Kraft mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- Shredd and toss all vegetables.
- In a saucepot over low heat, place in the ketchup, mustard, vinegar, mayo, sourcream, salt and pepper, (DO NOT ADD SUGAR as that is a last step).
- Bring all to a low boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour warm mixture onto all vegies, and toss well.
- Sprinkle the white sugar over top.
- Toss again well.
- Cover and chill until serving time.
- Note that the mustard and cayenne make this tangy and spicy, and give an orange colour apperance.
- This is very tasty for a bbq, or large gatherings and I think you will get many compliments on this one.
We love salads and this one is no exception! Love the combination of your dressing, just different enough to make for recipe requests. Only one problem, I only made half a recipe and we were looking for more! It's a good one to be taking to those large gatherings. Thank you for sharing Marjorie's recipe, it is a winner.