Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Yummy, crunch onion rings without the fat!! Clever recipe I got from a weight loss group online, but for the life of me I can't remember where.
- 6 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 large yellow sweet onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick,separated into rings
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine crumbs, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Dip onion rings in egg white, then in crumbs.
- Place rings on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes.
These had a very good taste and while not the same as fried onion rings, they were a very good substitute. I had to cook them a little longer than the recipe said. I will make them again. A very healthy alternative.
I liked how crispy these came out but there was far too much salt for my tastes. I'd definately reduce (or completely leave out) the salt next time. Using freshly ground pepper gave it a nice spicy-hot taste. I used panko(Japanese breadcrumbs) and baked them on a parchment lined baking tray. I think I liked the centres of the rings best because they came out juicier - like little onion nuggets.
Just wasn't what I was expecting. Needed some more spices to make up for the lack of deep fry method.