1/1 Photo of Jozi's Chicken (El Salvador)
1 hr 30 mins
Although many people do not like fruit with meat, the flavours in this generous party dish meld very well. It's even better to make it the day before, cool, cover and leave in fridge, then reheat gently in the oven. This is a recipe originating in El Salvador.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, preferably a whole chicken cut up
- 2 cups dry white wine, good quality
- oil (for frying)
- flour, seasoned (see directions)
- salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, ripe, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 chilies, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup green olives, stuffed
- 12 prunes, pips removed
- 4 large bananas, each cut into 4 pieces
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed, chopped (or more)
- 1Marinate chicken in wine for a few hours or overnight.
- 2Drain; reserve the wine.
- 3Roll the chicken pieces in seasoned flour. Seasoning can be salt and white pepper, or you can use a seasoning salt or chicken spice.
- 4Brown on all sides in oil.
- 5Then add the prepared onion, tomatoes, reserved wine, herbs and chillies.
- 6Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- 7Add the carrots and potatoes and simmer another 20 minutes.
- 8Then add the olives, prunes, bananas and sugar. Simmer very gently without a lid, for 10 minutes Stir in the garlic. Taste for seasoning.
- 9Serve with rice coloured yellow with turmeric.
- 10** Do not overcook the fruits and do not stir the dish vigorously. The idea is to keep the vegs. and fruits whole, and to preserve the colours. The flavour improves on standing.
- 11** If you'd like a stronger "bite", add more chillies, or substitute with Tabasco.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jozi's Chicken (El Salvador)
Serving Size: 1 (664 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1034.5
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 155.2 mg
- Sodium 724.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 112.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.1 g
- Sugars 48.9 g
- Protein 47.7 g