Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
From Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook the decription says Measures up to anything and it is tasty. Prep time is approximate and includes cooking meat and fruit til tender and grinding them. (I used my food processor which speeded things up considerably).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork
- 1⁄2 lb suet
- 2 lbs seedless raisins
- 2 lbs currants
- 2 lbs sugar
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 2 oranges
- 2 lemons
- 1⁄2 lb citron
- 2 quarts chopped apples
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup cider
- In a large stock pot cook the beef, pork, and suet until tender.
- Mince or grind through a food grinder.
- In a saucepan cook the raisins and currants until tender in water to cover.
- finely chop the oranges, lemons, citron, and apples, or grind through a food grinder.
- In a large saucepan combine the meat, raisins and currants, and remaining ingredients.
- Simmer together in water to cover for 12 minutes.
- Put into sterile jars and seal while hot.
- To make pie, fill an unbaked pie shell with about 3 cups of mincemeat.
- Cover with a top crust.
- Bake in a 425 oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temp to 375 and continue to bake for 35 minutes.