Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the "friends" cookbook. While hanging out at Central Perk Joey get hit in the head with one of these baked goods after making a comment to a girl. "Thanks!" he says clueless, as he munches on it. Instead of throwing these at your loved ones try them with butter or jam.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- preheat oven to 425 degrees grease a large baking sheet and set it aside place the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in the working bowl of a food processor, pulde to combine the ingredients.
- add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- slowly pour the milk through the feed tube and pulse until the dough just comes together.
- turn the dough onto a floured counter and knead in more flour if it seems overly sticky knead in the nuts by hand rol the dough into a 9-inch square that is about 1/2 inch thick cut into nine 3-inch squares.
- place the squares on the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each piece of dough bake until the scones are golden brown about 12 to 15 minutes serve immediately.
Great scones! I used half whole wheat flour and half white, and I also used soy milk! I made two rounds out of the dough and cut each into 6 pieces and 12 minutes was plenty of time in the oven. They are just subtly sweet. Thanks!