Prep 12 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
This is a traditional Newfoundland or "Newfie" dinner.
- 2 lbs salt beef
- 1 head cabbage, quartered
- 1 medium turnip, sliced
- 6 carrots, halved
- 8 -10 potatoes
- 1 piece salt pork, about a 2 inch cube
Blueberry Duff ingredients
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup berries, fresh or frozen
- water, enough to moisten
- Soak salt beef overnight in cold water on stove.
- Next day drain and add new water, enough to cover meat.
- Place salt pork in pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 2- 2 1/2 hours.
- Add your cabbage, carrots, turnip.
- Simmer another 1/2 hour.
- Add potatoes and simmer until done, about 45 minutes.
- Blueberry Duff: Once you have mix ingredients and placed in pudding bag, boil in jigg's dinner pot when you only have an hour left of simmering.
- About 15 minutes before you have added your potatoes.