Recipe by Barb G.
Jerusalem artichokes also known as Sunchokes, are awkward-looking tubers even bumpier than fresh ginger. The flavor is much like a regular artichoke, though they are not related they are sweeter and a little starchier. They taste a little smokey and retain a crispness when cooked, if not overcooked. They cook very quickly, so be careful not to turn them to mush. The recipe calls for peeling them, though I just scrub them as the tender brown skin is edible. They make a good appetizer, are good raw in salads. NOTE; Since I posted and made this recipe "Uncle Bill" Bill Anatooskin has also made the recipe. He made it for a group of about 20 people,He said they DEVOURED every morsel and looked for more. Many had never eaten Jerusalem Artichokes. He e-mailed me the changes that he made, I made some changes to when making the recipe. So I combined the changes. We hope that you enjoy the artichokes.
Top Review by slokiki
This is delicious and I will totally make it again. Husband LOVED it too. I'm just sad I don't have a bigger patch of these in my garden. This year I'll plant way more. Prepping the chokes from digging out to cleaning and peeling was a bit time consuming but worth it. Thank you for posting this.
- 1 lb jerusalem artichoke (Sunchokes)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (or more) or 1⁄2 cup padano cheese (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub the sunchokes and slice into 1/4 thick slices.
- In a 13-inch-x-9-inch a baking dish, add melted butter.
- Arrange the sliced chokes in casserole so that they overlap slightly.
- Sprinkle with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- If Using: Mix together onions & green onions; sprinkle over chokes.
- Sprinkle with Parmeasn chesse.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden crust begins to form on top.
- Remove from from oven, cover with release foil and let set for about 5 minutes before serving.
- The Jerusalem Artichokes should be slightly crunchy.