Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Make and share this Jerk Seitan Recipe recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 large white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten flour
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thickly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thickly sliced
- Prepare the marinade by pureeing all of the spice ingredients a blender of food processor until relitively smooth (it's ok for it to be a little chunky, and don't be alarmed with how gross it will look).
- Place the seitan in a shallow bowl and pour the marinade over it. Mix to coat. Cover and let marinate for an hour.
- In a large skillet, saute the onions and peppers in olive oil over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Remove the seitan from the marinade and reserve the liquid. Saute for 10 minutes, until the seitan has browned to your liking. Add the remaining marinade and cook for about 2 minutes to heat the sauce through.