From Gourmet, May, 2003. This gives the bbq, gas grill and roast method. The chicken is delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 fresh scotch bonnet peppers or 3 habanero peppers
- 6 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 3 shallots, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 whole chicken legs, thighs and drumsticks separated
- 1Discard stems, seeds, and ribs from 2 chiles and coarsely chop.
- 2Coarsely chop remaining chile including seeds (for a less spicy dish, seed half of chile before chopping).
- 3Blend chiles with remaining ingredients except chicken in a food processor until a paste forms.
- 4Cut several 1-inch-long slits in each piece of chicken, then rub paste all over chicken, rubbing it into slits.
- 5Marinate, covered and chilled, at least 2 hours or up to 1 day (longer is better for flavour).
- 6To cook chicken on charcoal kettle grill: When charcoal turns grayish white (15 to 20 minutes from lighting) and you can hold your hand 5 inches about top rack for 3 to 4 seconds, grill chicken, skin sides down first, on portion of lightly oiled grill rack with no coals underneath, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 7To cook chicken using indirect heat on gas grill: Preheat all burners on high (until thermostat registers 500°F).
- 8Turn off 1 burner and reduce heat on other burner (or burners) to medium.
- 9(Thermostat should register 350 to 375°F.) Grill chicken, skin sides down first, on portion of lightly oiled grill rack over unlit burner, covered, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 10If you aren't able to grill, you can roast jerk chicken, skin sides up, in 2 large shallow flameproof baking pans (1 inch deep) in upper and lower thirds of a preheated 450°F oven, switching position of pans halfway through roasting, until cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 11Then turn on broiler and broil chicken, about 4 inches from heat, until skin is browned and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jerk Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.0
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 138.6 mg
- Sodium 573.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 31.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: