Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from a regional magazine that DH brought home. It was submitted by a lady in Florida who got it from an old copy of Southern Cookbook. We enjoyed it and hope that you will too!
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and beat well.
- Beat the egg yolks and add to the creamed butter/sugar.
- Add the strawberry jelly and mix well.
- Beat the eggs whites well.
- Fold the egg whites in the butter/sugar/jelly mixture.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Pour in the pie shell.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.
Mine tasted very eggy with the key lime jelly, but stronger jellies like strawberry will probably do better. It did set well but was lumpy but I don't know if that is normal. Revise yours by placing on bottom rack to cook and by using strong jellies, and possible cooking longer.
I have this very recipe in an old cookbook of mine from 1947.
i am not going to rate this because it didn't work for me. after the 30 minute cooking time at 350 the pie was burning on top but still not set at all. i lowered the heat to 300 and cooked it until it was somewhat set but to be honest it didn't look at all appetizing.the taste was ok, and i covered the top with fresh whipped cream, to try to save it. i wouldn't try this again, sorry