Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Store these in a container in a cool place; nicely wrapped, this candy would make a great gift.
- 1 lb butter, no substitutes
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 1⁄3 cups toasted slivered almonds
- 4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate (i.e., 4 squares)
- 2⁄3 cup toasted slivered almonds, , finely chopped
- 4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate (yes, again)
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt butter; add sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Stir in water and corn syrup and cook, over low heat, stirring often but gently, until candy thermometer reads 290F.
- Be patient; this will take 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and remove thermometer.
- Add the first amount of almonds to pan, stir, and pour onto a greased 10x15 jelly roll pan about 1/4-inch deep; let cool.
- Melt the first four ounces of chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, stirring often; cool until you can hold your hand on the saucepan but it still feels hot.
- Spread melted chocolate over candy.
- Sprinkle with half of the remaining almonds.
- Wait until chocolate hardens, then cover with waxed paper, place another pan over top, and invert the candy pan; remove top pan (you now have the candy sitting on wax paper on another baking sheet).
- Melt the second amount of chocolate in saucepan exactly as above; spread over candy when cool.
- Sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Let it harden, then break into pieces.
To simplify this recipe, spread chopped almonds in a layer on the jelly roll pan, then shredded chocolate. THEN, pour the sugar/butter mixture over. Thereby eliminating the need to invert the candy....
This is the best!
Simply the BEST !!! Will make this again for Christmas.