1/3 Photos of Japanese Tangzhong Milk Bread (Water Roux)
3 hrs 30 mins
Donna M.'s Note:
Really soft, fluffy bread that stays soft for days. This bread is amazing! Recipe is adapted from Yvonne Chen's "The 65 degree Bread Doctor". This recipe is best made in a mixer or bread machine because the dough is quite soft and sticky.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make tangzhong (water roux) by wisking together the 25 g flour with the 125 ml of water in a small saucepan.
- 2Heat mixture over medium-low heat while stirring constantly until it thickens enough that your stirring leaves 'lines' or 'trails' on the surface, and then remove from heat immediately and scrape into a small bowl.
- 3Cover bowl with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying on the surface and cool to room temperature.
- 4Put milk, egg and cooled tangzhong in mixer bowl or bread machine pan.
- 5Add remaining ingredients except butter and turn on machine to begin mixing.
- 6Mix until ingredients just come together and then add butter.
- 7Knead until dough is smooth and elastic and will form a windowpane when stretched.
- 8Proof dough, covered, until it doubles.
- 9Deflate dough and divide into 4 equal portions, trying to make them as equal as possible (weighing is the best way).
- 10Cover and rest 15 minutes.
- 11Roll out each portion into an oval shape.
- 12Fold each side of the oval to the middle and roll again to flatten the seam.
- 13By hand, roll up each portion of folded dough starting at the unfolded end, so it resembles a swiss roll.
- 14Place all four rolls into a greased 9" x 5" bread pan with the ends of the rolls facing the long sides of the pan.
- 15Cover and proof until doubled.
- 16At this point you can apply an egg-wash by beating an egg and lightly brushing it over the top of the dough (optional).
- 17Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for about 30 minutes, until a deep golden brown.
- 18Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- 19If you didn't use an egg wash, you can brush tops of hot bread with melted butter if desired.
- 20NOTE: for those of you who do not have a scale, the measured ingredients would be: tangzhong=2 Tbsp + 2 tsp flour, 1/2 c water, Recipe=2 1/2 c bread flour, 2 tsp instant yeast, 4 T sugar, 1 tsp salt, 4 tsp milk powder, 1 egg, 1/2 c milk, 3 T butter.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Tangzhong Milk Bread (Water Roux)
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.7
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 22.8 mg
- Sodium 193.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 5.2 g