Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great recipe from Kylie Kwong, a Chinese chef from Australia.
- 550 g Japanese eggplants
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1⁄4 bunch thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, extra
- 2 medium vine ripened tomatoes, finely sliced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch cracked white pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F).
- Halve eggplants lengthways, leaving stems intact.
- Place eggplants in a single layer, cut-side up, in a lightly oiled roasting tin.
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic, thyme sprigs and salt, and cover tin with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until eggplants are tender.
- Remove from oven and increase temperature to 200 C (400 F).
- Drizzle eggplants with half the extra oil and bake, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Arrange eggplants on a platter and top with tomatoes.
- Drizzle with remaining oil and lemon juice, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.