Japanese Eggplant, Teriyaki Style
- Heat broiler.
- Using a sharp knife, lightly score eggplant flesh in a criss-cross pattern.
- Arrange the eggplant skin side up in a single layer on a non-stick broiler pan.
- Lightly brush with half the oil; broil 4 inches away from heat source for 3 minutes or until dimpled but not charred.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine soy sauce, sugar and mirin.
- Turn eggplant slices over and brush with remaining oil; broil 1 minute.
- Brush with soy sauce mixture; broil 1 more minute more until eggplant is tender when it's pierced with a knife.
- Sprinkle with scallions before serving.