Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This was one of my favorite dishes as a child growing up in jamaica. Now that i am an adult and i do not get to make it as often as i would like, I go to my moms home and dig in.... still yummy. My kids love this as well. when all else fails them. this does not.
- 1⁄4 lb salt beef
- 1 small piece stewing beef
- 8 ounces red beans
- 4 cups water (as much as needed to cover stew)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 scallion
- 1⁄4 onion
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄4 green pepper
- Wash the beans, Put in large pot w/scallion onion, thyme , green pepper & stew beef pour water 4" above the ingredients, boil on med flame.
- Boil salt beef in sep pot until some of the the salt is boiled out, around 30min, take out and transfer to the main pot.
- Partially Cover Pot w/ a lid , boil until the beans are very soft. taste them. they should melt in your mouth,*make sure water does not boil out. add water when needed.
- add the remaining ingredients, and boil until the liquid lessens and the stew thickens.(not too thick).
- serve w/rice.