one of my favorite dishes when in jamaica. and this from someone who doesn't normally like hot cereals.
- Bring salted water to a boil.
- Combine cornmeal and flour together in a bowl.
- Add milk slowly to make a smooth paste.
- Stir cornmeal paste into boiling salted water.
- Cover and cook on slow heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, cover and simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Sweeten with condensed milk.
- Serve hot.
Very good recipe. My mother in law is Jamaican. Hers is a bit thinner but I like this consistency. I used a whisk and had no issues with lumps. A super addition to make it that much better is a touch of fresh nutmeg. I just had ground nutmeg but true Jamaican style has fresh nutmeg. Wll make again.
This is the best cornmeal porridge I ever made. Thanks. Adding the flour was new for me and I think it helps to keep the lumps to a minimum. Keeping the fire extremely low and stirring occasionally will stop the lumps. I used cinnamon stick and leaf instead of cinnamon powder and added a little mixed spice. I didn't use condensed milk, just sweetened with brown sugar and powdered soy. I'm still trying to convince my 5 year old daughter...finicky eater...but I loved it!
my mummy made me this today it was good but it was ssssssssssssoooooooooo lumpy