Prep 0 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked barley
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and then cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, diced in small pieces
- 1 carrot, diced in small pieces
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Pickapeppa Sauce or 1 tablespoon vegetarian steak sauce and 1 to 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Boil the barley in 4½ C water for 45 minutes (or prepare according to package directions). Drain.
- Saute the vegetables in vegetable broth for about 10 minutes or until just tender.
- Add the Pickapeppa sauce and stir well.
- Stir in the cooked barley, mix well.
- Add more sauce if desired.
- * Pickapeppa, the ketchup of Jamaica, found on most every table, is a mix of tomatoes, vinegar, onions, mangoes, sugar, spices and peppers.