Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I made this while ago for a school project and it really went over well. It's not hard to make and it's great for breakfast, snacks, or anytime at all!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 jar of any flavored jam
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Add egg and milk.
- Beat until blended.
- Stir in flour, backing powder, and salt.
- Fill 12 muffin cups 1/2 full of batter.
- Top with 1 t of jam.
- Spoon remaining batter over top of jam.
- Sprinkle sugar on top of muffins.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes of until golden.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing.
We had a lot of problems baking these muffins and we wasted so much of our time and it turned out to be terrible!!!! You need a LOT more sugar for these muffins. I would not recommend this recipe to ANYONE! We're feeling very angry! All of the measurements are wrong AND no shortening is required. It ruined the whole thing!
The taste of these was okay but I had difficulty making them. I made big muffins (qty of 8) and had difficulty removing them from the pan. When I did get them out, I found that the jam had basically sunk to the bottom and I now had a hole in the bottom with jam leaking out. The muffins had to be cooled and stored upside down. I used about 4-6 oz of a 12 oz jar of jam.