Recipe by Hoosier Margie
So spicy and fruity and good. This was given me from my mom. After you make this, when you can wait no longer, eat one. Save the other for when company comes by, if you can.
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blackberry jam
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dates
Directions See How It's Made
- To help keep fruit and nuts from settling to the bottom, put them in a plastic bag and add about 1/2 cup of the flour to it and gently shake them up.
- Remember that the 1/2 cup of flour is here and make the adjustment in the 3 cup called for in the recipe.
- Grease loaf pans and line with brown paper (I use 2- 9x5x3 pans).
- Mix ingredients together in order given.
- Fill pans 2/3 full.
- Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours in 275-300 degree oven.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Right now, these cakes are not fit to eat.
- I wrap mine in wax paper, then put in bread wrapper and put in a cool dry place (not refrigerator).
- I check them in a week.
- The next week one will get cut.
- After that one is gone, if no one comes by pretty soon, I cut the next one.
- Sorry about their luck.