1 hr 15 mins
Julia Lynn's Note:
This recipe was posted on betterrecipes.com today and was the winner of one of their weekly contests. It looks so good I just had to save it !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb macaroni noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons jarred pickled jalapeno juice
- 2/3 cup jarred jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 10 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- 10 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 10 ounces havarti cheese, grated
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1In a large bowl, combine grated cheeses and set aside.
- 2In a medium saucepan, melt 6 tbsp butter over low heat. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and whisk in the milk very slowly to avoid lumps. Cook until thickened, 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3Remove from heat, then season with salt, pepper, minced garlic, jalapeno juice and chopped jalapenos. Stir in about 1/3 of the grated cheeses until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth. Cover and set aside.
- 4Cook pasta until very al dente. Drain the water and return to the pot. Add the cheese sauce and stir until well combined, then set aside.
- 5Place 1/2 of the pasta in a 9 X 13 baking dish. Top with the cream cheese cubes. Top with 1/2 of the remaining grated cheeses. Pour the remaining pasta over cheese layer and top with the last of the cheese.
- 6Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the panko bread crumbs and stir to evenly cover the bottom of the skillet. Let cook until the bread crumbs have absorbed all of the butter and are lightly toasted, 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in the crumbled bacon. Sprinkle topping evenly over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees, for 40-45 minutes, or until the macaroni and cheese is bubbly and hot and the top is golden brown.
- 7If the top browns too quickly, tent the baking dish with foil. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jalapeno Popper Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1031.8
- Calories from Fat 591
- Total Fat 65.7 g
- Saturated Fat 39.7 g
- Cholesterol 199.3 mg
- Sodium 1246.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 48.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: