These are a delicious savory waffle that can be used as a bed for your favorite chili or meat gravy. They also make a mean sandwich when split in half. The recipe has the instructions for both gluten free and regular. Leftovers can be stored in a sealed plastic bag and toasted as needed.
- 1 cup cornmeal or 1 cup gluten free cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional for gluten free only
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons dry buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (I use coconut oil.)
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 medium ear corn on the cob, kernels cut off and cob scraped
- 2⁄3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 -2 medium jalapeno pepper, finely diced (Remove seeds and ribs for a milder flavor.)
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together the cornmeal through buttermilk powder. In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure 1 1/4 cups of warm water, oil and egg yolks. Add the liquid ingredients to dry and combine thoroughly. Mix in additional water as needed to make a smooth batter. Stir in the corn, cheese and peppers. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Preheat waffle iron as per manufacturers directions. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Spoon batter onto to hot waffle iron and bake until golden brown. Repeat for additional waffles.
- Please note: My waffle iron is a 2 waffle Belgian waffle iron and each waffle measures 4 in x 3-1/2 inches.