Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish is delicious, but its also not for the faint of taste buds--it's HOT HOT HOT!
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped jalapeno pepper (the type in the can is fine)
- 1 1⁄3 cups of grated cheese
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and pour in a 9x13 inch ungreased pan.
- Nake in preheated oven at 350°F for 1hour.
Very, very good. A big hit at the WWE Vengeance pay per view party. Omitting the oil made a perfect cornbread for crumbling into a nice, 3 alarm chili. I chopped 5 medium (fresh) jalapenos in my Cuisinart, seeds and all, nearly to the point of puree - I hate biting into whole jalapenos in my cornbread - and it made every bite fiery good! With the onions I did just the opposite - using large pieces - just chopped - and the long cooking time mellowed them out into nice juicy bits that countered the jalapeno fire. Maybe use the whole can of creamed corn instead of just a cup, and sweet tooths should up the sugar to a tbsp - I didn't notice any sweetness at all.