Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A little Tex-Mex combination with a light dressing of lemon juice and champagne vinegar -- no oil. Sounds really light and fresh. Prep time does not include refrigeration time.
- 1 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 473.18 ml corn kernels, roasted
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted (peeled, seeded and diced)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 44.37 ml fresh lemon juice
- 44.37 ml champagne vinegar
- 2 jalapeno chilies (seeded and minced)
- 236.59 ml cilantro, coarsely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- Roast red bell pepper either over a gas flame until it blisters or in a skillet with 2 tablespoons oil and blister over high heat. Wrap in a wet paper towel and set aside to steam gently. When you remove the towel, most of the skin should come off with it. Scrape off the rest of the skin with a butter knife. For corn, place "unshucked" ears of corn in an oven and set at 350 degrees - roast for 30 minutes or until kernels are soft. Shuck the corn, remove the silk, cut the kernels from the cob and proceed as directed.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, including salt and pepper to taste. Toss well. Cover and let stand in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
This was delightfully different an is now in my "best of" cookbook. I loved that it had NO oil! There isn't much dressing at all. I placed everything into a lidded container and actually shook it to coat the cabbage. The first day the slaw was almost too (spicy) hot to enjoy, but it mellowed and we enjoyed it more day two. The cabbage was still crisp, fresh, and not a wilted mess. Served with pork bbq sliders and fish tacos. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Forgot to give it the stars in my review!
This is an excellent recipe. It so fresh tasting and packed with flavor. After reading Susie D's review, I made the slaw the day before serving. The flavors went together very nicely. This was served with Fiesta Chicken with Jalapeno Cilantro Cream (#161360) they were perfect together.