Recipe by Phil Benusa
An easy hot sauce that has all the flavor of a Tex-Mex hot sauce with an added dose of nutrition. There is no reason a hot sauce can not be both nutritious and delicious.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, shelled
- 8 fresh jalapenos, seeds included
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 white onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh spirulina, paste
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 5 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonstick pan toast the cumin and pumpkin seeds until fragrant and add to a blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and puree until smooth. The flavors need to meld so refrigerate the puree overnight.
- Return the mixture to the blender and blend until you have a smooth paste. Pour the paste through a sieve to remove unblended material from the sauce. Discard the content from the sieve and put the paste into a bottle for future use.