Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
These are NOT like the belly bombs you get at the festa. These are lighter and tastier. These will ruin you for all other zeppoles (which are usually fried pizza dough) Thanks to my Godmother for this one!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- oil (for frying, light olive oil works well, watch carefully though)
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a heavy deep skillet, heat the oil to 375 degrees. If you have a fryer, set to manufacturers directions for 375. Fill with enough oil so it is about 2 inches deep.
- mix the first three ingredients together thorughly and set aside.
- In a seperate bowl, mix eggs, vanilla, cheese, sugar and wine if using. Mix until uniform.
- add the dry ingredients to the wet and FOLD until no more flour is visible (do not overmix or you'll have fried belly bombs). Let rest on counter for 10 minutes.
- Drop batter (VERY carefully) into hot oil by teaspoonfuls and remove once golden brown and fried through, about 4 minutes. Turn so they dont get too dark once or twice. Some will turn over on their own but keep them moving a bit. Drain on paper towel lined dish.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve while warm.