Bethany's Jerseygirl Zeppoles
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
1 large batch
- Mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.
- In another large bowl, empty the yeast package, then slowly add the warm water, mixing with a fork to fully dissolve the yeast.
- When the yeast mixture forms some bubbles, add the mixture to the flour/salt, then add the three eggs.
- Mix the batter, then set the bowl on top of your refrigerator (or other warm place), cover with damp dish towel.
- After 20 minutes, check the dough for rising, mix again and let rise for another 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil to medium heat.
- Add the dough by the spoonful (about the size of 2 golf balls) Experiment with the first batch to make sure the oil is not too hot.
- Remove when golden brown and place on paper bags to absorb the oil.
- Place warm Zeppoles in a paper bag with powdered sugar and SHAKE.
- You want them well covered with the powdered sugar.
- These are messy.
- If yours are not messy, you need more sugar on them.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love this recipe!!! It reminds me of home on the Jersey shore...if you didn't do anything all summer you ahd to go to the board walk in my home town and hit the zeppoles stand and get a bag...I first made these when I was living down in Florida and every summer I wanted Zeppoles but had no place to get them at...finding this recipe was all i needed to remind me of home..now i can't stop making them.