Having tried many different versions of this soup - I came up with my own - less fatty and more taste
- 3 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3⁄4 cup carrot (diced)
- 10 ounces spinach (chopped frozen)
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning mix
- 2 cups pasta (small pearl like pastini)
- 2 lbs extra lean beef (I used ground chicken or turkey at times)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (grated)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper (to Taste)
- Prepare your meatballs first, mixing all the ingredients listed starting with 2 lbs ground beef and below- form into small meatballs - less than 1/2" in diameter.
- Place into a frying pan and cook till 3/4 done or a nice brown coating is developed.
- Place on paper towels to drain any fats. Remove all fats from the pan and deglaze the frying pan with 1 cup of chicken stock. Reserve this stock.
- In a large soup pot add 1 tbsp olive oil, add onions, garlic and carrot. Sauté till tender. Approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add your chicken stock, basil, Italian spice and oregano. Allow 10 minutes of simmer time.
- Add frozen spinach and allow to melt into soup. Cook for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Add meatballs and reserved stock from deglazing the fry pan.
- Cook your pastini to el dente. Add to soup.
- Serve with fresh grated Parmasan Reggiano cheese.