Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great way to use up fresh garden zucchini if you've eaten enough of it fresh and need to mix it up a bit. I found this recipe from Taste of Home 30 Minute Cookbook, and I love it because a delicious lunch or dinner is done quickly. I used a spicy Italian sausage (which I think gives way more flavor) beef bouillion and red onion, but feel free to vary according to your palate. Recipe courtesy of Janet Frieman, Kenosha, Wisconsin.
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 onion (medium, sliced)
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 zucchini (medium-sized, cut into 1/4-inch slices)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- parmesan cheese (grated)
- In a 3-quart saucepan, brown sausage and onion and drain.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, broth, water, zucchini, and basil. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
A few chops here and there as the meat browns and you're 15 minutes away from a delicious meal. I did add about 1 1/2 teaspoon of basil. I have more zucchini so I'll be making this again. Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag 2010