Recipe by dragonnika0077
I combined two recipes I found for meatloaf to make like a super meatloaf. I didn't like just plan meatloaf so I found a couple ways to spice it up. You can use bread crumbs or oats if you want to add another dose of whole grain to your day. You also get your vegetables and meat all in one dish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste with
- coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1⁄4 cup dried parsley
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs or 1 cup oats
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the zucchini, bell peppers, garlic paste and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables are almost soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the egg and fresh herbs in a large bowl. Add the ground beef, sausage, bread crumbs, grated cheese, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and the cooled vegetables; mix until just combined.
- Gently press the mixture into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes in a small bowl; brush the mixture over the entire loaf. Bake for about an hour. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.