Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This quick and easy stir fry is a colourful addition to grilled or roast meats. You can add extra garlic and basil at the end of cooking time.
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml vegetable stock or 118.29 ml chicken stock or 118.29 ml water
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 59.14 ml fresh basil or 14.79 ml dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices.
- In large skillet over medium hi cook zucchini and onion in oil for 2 to 3 minutes stirring until just beginning to brown.
- Add stock; Reduce heat and simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until evaporated and zucchini is tender crisp.
- In medium bowl combine tomatoes basil garlic and pepper; stir in zucchini and heat for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Love it! This has become a family favorite that is requested when the zucchini start popping. A can of Italian tomatoes works great whenever the fresh ones aren't quite ready. I also add a bit of crushed red pepper and serve it over spaghetti noodles. Yummy! Even the kids like it!
A very nice side dish--it's very attractive and tastes good. I thought it was a little bland, but also think that subtleness makes it appealing as a side dish accompanying a more flamboyant entree. I used caution adding the basil--not all of us like that much. I put in as much as I thought the crowd here would enjoy.
This was a "fresh and clean" tasting dish and was very enjoyable. I only had one medium red tomato (from the store, yuck!)so I took about 12 yellow cherry tomatoes from the garden to make up the difference. Sadly.. I was also out of parmesan so I made it without cheese. It was still very, very good and refreshing. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe Fluffy! (hehe love the name)