Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This looks like a really good fish recipe. This is from my Italian Cooking cookbook. Have not made yet, it's originally posted for the Zaar World tour contest.
- 4 skinless swordfish steaks, 1/2 inch thick
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion (or 1/2 reg onion)
- 1 lb tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or 14.5 oz can)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano (2 tsp if dried)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut swordfish in half, remove any bones you see, and brush with 2 TB of olive oil. Refrigerate till ready to use.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make tomato sauce:.
- Heat the 2 tb olive oil in saucepan, over med heat. Add garlic and onion and cook till garlic is golden and onion is soft (careful not to burn garlic!)
- Stir in tomatoes, wine, oregano, and season with salt and pepper. cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minute If you want a smooth sauce blend or puree in a blender or food processor. If not leave it be.
- Combine bread crumbs, capers, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and mix well, to a make a paste like mixture.
- Place each swordfish steak between two pieces of wax paper and pound gently to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place one-eighth of the bread-crumb mixture near one end of each piece of fish and roll it up as neatly as possible, tucking in the ends. Secure with toothpicks.
- Heat remaining 4 TB olive oil in ovenproof skillet/pan. Brown swordfish over medium-high heat. After 3-4 min pour tomato sauce over and place in oven and bake for 15 min, occasionally basting with sauce. Garnish with lemon wedges and basil leaves.