Recipe by Violet #2
This is a good basic sauce to can and use in your recipes. It needs to be followed exactly to insure safety . Adding extra ingredients will make it unsafe to can. This is from the Ball Blue Book.
- 10 lbs tomatoes
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- bottled lemon juice or citric acid
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash tomatoes; drain.
- Peel, core and cut into small pieces; set aside.
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil in a large saucepot. Add tomatoes and
- Simmer about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Press mixture through a sieve or food mill; discard seeds.
- Cook pulp in a large, uncovered saucepot over medium-high heat until
- sauce thickens, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Add 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon citric acid to each pint jar.
- Carefully ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
- Wipe jar rim clean.
- Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass.
- Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met.
- process 35 minute in a boiling water bath canner.