Recipe by Kalija
I got this recipe from my mother inlaw, it is cheap and easy to put together. I love to throw this together on a cold, snowy Sunday morning - then I can just throw it in the oven later and go about my business while dinner cooks. Add a salad or crusty itallian bread for a side and you are all set. I sometimes use turkey sausage for a lower fat dish.
Top Review by Koffeefreak
This was so easy and delicious! I made the mistake of sauteing the onions first, which took the liquid away and make the dish a little bit dry. I added a few extras seasonings, like Garlic Powder and extra cheese, but will definitely be something I make again and again! Thanks for the recipe.
- 6 italian sausage links
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 cup 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling, add sausage, (poke a few holes in them to let the fat out) cover and turn the heat off. Let poach for 20 minutes; drain and refrigerate untill cool. (I usually do this while making dinner the night before). Slice the sausages into 1/4 to 1/2 inch coins.
- In a large casserole dish, layer half the potatoes, half the onion, half the peppers and half the sausage. Salt and pepper if desired.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle cheese on top, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours or untill potatoes are cooked through. Remove foil for last 15 minutes of cooking.