Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is another family favorite soup for the long winter months that we have here in Maine. Easy to make and tastes better the next day.
- 3 (9 ounce) packages refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 lbs garlic cheese italian sausage
- 1 large onion, Chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or more)
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) bagshredded carrots
- 2 (28 ounce) canspastene kitchen ready canned tomatoes
- 3 small zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise, then sliced in about 1/2 inch slices
- 2 large green peppers, Sliced Into Small Pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- Remove the sausage from the casings.
- In a large stockpot brown the sausage in a little olive oil over medium high making sure to break them into pieces, when cooked remove and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and green pepper, sauté until tender.
- Add sausage, chicken broth, carrots, Pastene tomatoes, cheese tortellini, garlic, basil and oregano to stockpot.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for about 2 hours until tortellini are cooked.
- Serve in soup bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired along with italian bread to slop up the broth.