Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is another family favorite soup for the long winter months that we have here in Maine. Easy to make and tastes better the next day.
- 3 (9 ounce) packages refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 lbs garlic cheese italian sausage
- 1 large onion, Chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or more)
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) bagshredded carrots
- 2 (28 ounce) canspastene kitchen ready canned tomatoes
- 3 small zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise, then sliced in about 1/2 inch slices
- 2 large green peppers, Sliced Into Small Pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- Remove the sausage from the casings.
- In a large stockpot brown the sausage in a little olive oil over medium high making sure to break them into pieces, when cooked remove and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and green pepper, sauté until tender.
- Add sausage, chicken broth, carrots, Pastene tomatoes, cheese tortellini, garlic, basil and oregano to stockpot.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for about 2 hours until tortellini are cooked.
- Serve in soup bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired along with italian bread to slop up the broth.