Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my husband's favorite. Now it is his co-worker's favorite as well. I've never really written it down before, so please excuse me if I forget a step.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cubanelle peppers, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- white wine
- red pepper flakes
- provolone cheese, sliced
- crusty hoagie roll
- Place sausages in a large skillet over medium high heat, add 1 inch water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain sausages and return pan to stove raising heat back to medium hight. Add the oil to skillet to brown and crisp the outsides. Remove sausages and slice into 2 inch pieces.
- Add the onions and peppers to pan, cook until slightly soft. Add wine to skillet to de-glaze pan.
- Add tomato sauce and sliced sausages to pan. Heat everything together.
- Add red pepper flakes to taste.
- Spoon the sausage mix onto rolls. Top with sliced cheese and place under a broiler until the cheese is nice and bubbly.