Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This peasant style dish is another favorite from "The North End Italian Cookbook". It brings back memories of the wonderful restaurants in Boston's north end Italian neighborhoods.
- 2 lbs sweet all pork Italian sausages
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 large potatoes, peeled,thickly sliced and wiped dry
- 6 -8 mild vinegar pickled peppers or 6 -8 hot vinegar pickled hot peppers
- salt and pepper
- Add oil and sausages to a large heavy skillet.
- Fry over medium heat until sausages are cooked through and well browned, remove with a slotted spoon.
- Increase heat to high, add potatoes and fry, turning often, until crispy and tender.
- Return sausage to the pan and heat through.
- Add vinegar peppers by tearing into small pieces over the pan so juices fall on the potatoes and sausage.
- Cook 3 minutes more, season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
You're probably thinking this won't be very good. WEll, honestly, that's what I said to my husband while he was making it. "Are you kidding me? " That would be what I said. This is now y Favorite Dinner for comfort foods of all time hands down!! Love the North End.....
A hearty dish with a great little kick. Used a blend of mild and hot pickled peppers with a little juice from each jar. Like any good dish, this was even better the next day. Thanks, Lorac, for another fine meal.