Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
You can cook it with hot Italian sausages as in the directions below or you can make it with mild or sweet sausages. If you do, you may want to omit the peppers and add either a touch of honey, syrup, or brown sugar, and sliced tart apples . Either way, I think I'd keep the onions...but that's a personal choice. You can also add chili flakes or parsley or any herb/spice that suits your tastes. If you want to serve it over pasta, you can add a can or two of spaghetti sauce and slice the sausauges before frying. This recipe is so versatile, you can't go wrong.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 6-8 Italian sausages (hot or mild)
- 2 red onions (or one Spanish onion or any onion/onion combination of your choice)
- 4 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced into long,thin strips
- 1 yellow sweet pepper, seeded and sliced into long,thin strips
- 1 sweet orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced into long,thin strips
- white pepper or black pepper
- salt, as needed
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add onions and garlic and fry till golden brown.
- Add sausages and cook till almost done.
- Add peppers and seasoning.
- Cook until veggies are tender.
Love Italian sausage with peppers - I used hot Italian, added some mushrooms and 4 tbsp of spicy BBQ sauce -vrowned the onions well along with the mushrooms & sausages then added the peppers for the last 5 minutes. Thanks Ranikabani for a delicious dinner
Thank you, Ranikabani, for the tasty and great idea for dinner. The family raved with joy after eating this. As Italian sausages and bratwursts are often on sale out here, (Arizona) I plan to be using this recipe as a guide often in these difficult economic times.
As you said, this recipe is versatile. I wanted to serve this over rice, so I sliced my sausages (mild) with a diagonal cut after browning them. I used one red onion and one white. I also substituted a green bell pepper for the yellow one, as we enjoy the taste of the green, too. (especially when added with the sweeter red and orange ones) I added a can of Italian-style diced tomatoes, which I drained (and froze the juices to add to a soup recipe in the future), and some sliced mushrooms, too. Oh, almost forgot. I also seasoned with some crushed Italian seasoning, too. Delicious!