1/1 Photo of Italian Rustic Spinach Bread
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Dedee Royale's Note:
This is a great treat we've enjoyed for each Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's a recipe I developed when I owned and operated Le Petit Gourmet Food Shop in Milford, CT. The bread was so popular it was difficult keeping up with the demand, especially during the holidays. NOTE: It's extremely important to make the dough with bread flour and NOT all purpose flour. Otherwise, if you don't want to make the dough from scratch, just purchase bread dough at your local supermarket, but do not expect the same results.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup and level off.
- 2In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- 3Add warm water and oil, mix well with fork.
- 4Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead at least 10 minutes until smooth.
- 5Spray a bowl with cooking spray and place dough inside, and cover with plastic wrap and cloth towel.
- 6Let rise in warm place (80-85F) for 30-40 minutes.
- 7Sprinkle ungreased cookie sheet with cornmeal.
- 8Punch down dough and cover with inverted bowl, and rest for 15 minutes.
- 9Divide dough into two loaves.
- 10Roll out one loaf at a time into approximately 12"x14" and spread spinach mixture evenly all over surface.
- 11Roll up tightly tucking in sides and set aside on a cookie sheet that is lightly covered with cornmeal. Cover with plastic wrap and cloth towel.
- 12Let loaves rise for another 30-40 minutes.
- 13Heat oven to 375°F.
- 14With a sharp knife cut several deep diagonal slits on top of each loaf.
- 15Brush tops with beaten egg white.
- 16Bake for 25-35 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped.
- 17Cool slightly and serve warm.
- 18Note: For freezing, cool completely and wrap in aluminum foil. Reheat in oven at 350F for 15 minutes.
- 19Filling Directions:.
- 20Place thawed spinach in large frying pan over low flame.
- 21Mix in the balance of ingredients and continue cooking for 8-10 minutes.
- 23With your hands, squeeze out as much liquid as you can and set aside.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Rustic Spinach Bread
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.2
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 970.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 8.5 g