Recipe by Lorac
Portobello mushrooms are the "meat" of this one pot vegetarian dish. If you prefer, you can add cooked chunks of Italian sausage. Recipe from the "Arizona Republic".
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried fennel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chianti wine or 1⁄2 cup other red wine
- 3 portabella mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed,drained
- shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add onions, garlic, chili, Italian herbs, fennel, salt, red and black pepper and cook 1 minute over medium high heat.
- Stir in wine and mushrooms and cook 2 minutes or until mushrooms have softened.
- Add tomatoes and beans, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until the pan liquid has reduced somewhat.
- If desired, garnish with cheese and parsley before serving.