Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Made for RSC #12 contest. A summer dessert that makes the top ten chart for our family. Hope you try this and enjoy at your next family gathering. Time estimated is not chilling time included.
- 118.29 ml butter, room temperature
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 118.29 ml cake flour
- 29.58 ml cake flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 59.16 ml whole milk
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 177.44 ml white sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 118.29-177.44 ml chopped pecans
- 236.59 ml nutri whip non-dairy whipped topping
- 170.09 g mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 29.58 ml powdered icing sugar (optional)
- 1.23 ml vanilla
- 29.58 ml sugar-free strawberry jam (jam or spread)
- 118.29 ml fresh blueberries, washed
- 118.29 ml crushed pineapple, drained well reserving juice
- 10 strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 banana, sliced
- blueberries (to garnish)
- strawberry puree, for plate garnish
- Cake: Cream the butter with granulated sugar until creamy and smooth. Add in the egg yolks one at a time until combined.
- Sift the measured cake flour with salt, and baking powder. blend flour into the egg mixture alternately with the milk and vanilla.
- Pour into two 8 inch greased and floured cake pans, set aside.
- Meringue: Beat the egg whites until frothy and gradually add in the white sugar a little at a time, beat in the vanilla, Continue beating until stiff peaks when the beaters are lifted. Fold in the amount of chopped nuts you desire either 1/2 cup or 3/4 of a cup.
- Spread the prepared meringue over each cake evenly using it all.
- Place cakes into a 350 degree preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until tester comes away clean and golden brown.
- Remove baked cakes to cooling rack. Cool ten minutes, invert and completely cool on parchment covered wire racks.
- Filling: Beat your 1/2 pint (250ml container) of liquid Nutri Whip into a large bowl, and beat until thick adding in 1 tablespoons of the powdered sugar to sweeten lightly. The powdered sugar is optional as the sugar free preserves added later will also sweeten.
- Beat your 6 ounces mascarpone creamed cheese until light and fluffy adding in the other 1 tablespoons icing powder to sweeten, Again the powdered sugar is optional as the preseves will sweeten the filling. Beat in 2 tablespoon sugar free strawberry preserves ( jam or spread) the little bit of vanilla and continue to cream until mixture is light and smooth.
- Fold in the blended cheese mixture into the peaked whipped cream mixture folding well.
- Add in the well drained pineapple, the blueberries folding in well, but not breaking the berries.
- Setting up the Layers: Place cooled cake layer meringue side down of serving platter.
- Spread all the filling over the cake layer.
- Place second cake layer on top of filling with meringue side up (this is top).
- Place in refrigerator for a couple of hours to set and meld flavours.
- Just before serving prepare garnishes.
- Slice banana and dip into the reserved pineapple juice (this helps to prevent browning of fruit.
- Slice strawberries into a fan shape leaving the end in tack and spread out.
- Remove cake from fridge, around the outer edge place sliced bananas and then place the strawberries over bananas, marking into ten portions,,that way each portion has a couple of banana slices and a full strawberry fan.
- Slice and place on individual serving plates that have a squeeze of strawberry puree and chocolate syrups. Scatter a few blueberries also onto plates with a sprig of fresh mint.