Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a bit of work in the morning, but smells absolutely awesome while it's cooking. Special enough to serve to company, or use for sandwiches at work the next day.
- 1 lb 80% lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup minced celery
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 slice bread
- 2 ounces milk
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 (16 ounce) can Hunts tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 ounces grated pecorino romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- in a large bowl, place the first ten ingredients, being sure to pour the milk and egg upon the bread. Wait until the bread is soggy (1 minute), then, using your hands, knead this mixture quite thoroughly. Form into six small loaves, and place them in a 9x13-inch pan.
- in another bowl, mix the tomato sauce and tomatoes with the red wine, basil, and romano cheese. Pour this mixture over and around the loaves. Bake at 350°F for 1 and 1/2 hours, uncovered. Allow to rest for a few minutes (ten) before serving.