Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found a recipe on here and by the time I got through all my changes I realized I had a new recipe. The family loved it and told me I should post, so here it is. The seasoning gives the turkey a sausage flavor. My husband thought I could have added more rice to stretch it even more but I think the 4 cups was pleanty. Add less if you want it more meaty. Don't be afraid to try brown rice or some other favorite. Also, I think this would be GREAT with broccoli rabe in stead of escarole but I'm the only one in the house who likes it. If you like a little spice add some red pepper flakes when you add the other herbs. This is a quick and easy meal. I figured 30 min. from start to finnish but that depends on how fast you chop. I have a rice cooker so I don't have to babysit the rice and usually chop as I go, so my times may be off.
- Cook the ground turkey and onion in a large skillet until the turkey is cooked through. If your turkey is on the fatty side than you may not need the oil but if not, use it.
- Add the herbs including the garlic and cook for an other minute and stir to combine all the flavors. Drain off the fat if necessary.
- Add the bell pepper. Let cook for a few minutes than add the escarole and pour the chicken broth over the top.
- Cook and stir to wilt the escarole and get the pepper to your desired level of doneness (I like it to have a little bite to it). The broth will evaporate quickly but if it doesn't don't worry, the rice will soak it up.
- Add the cooked rice and stir to combine.
- Serve hot.