Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is my mother's recipe that won the Blue Ribbon at the Iowa State Fair.
Make and share this Italian-Herb Cheese Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Heat the milk over medium low heat.
- Add sugar, salt, butter, onions, garlic powder and Italian seasoning; cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in water, combine with milk mixture and cheese, stir in flour to make a soft dough.
- Grease a cast iron skillet with butter and place dough in skillet; cover with waxed paper and a towel. Let rise until doubled (about 45 min).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour until done.
- Brush with butter.
Really good, very easy batter yeast bread. Great addition to any dinner, would be a wonderful side for soup or chili, too. This is one of those recipes I'll do better with the second time though. It rose faster than I anticipated and I was glad I didn't top with a towel or wax paper cause it was coming over the top of the skillet! And next time I'll bake on a lower rack, I baked on the center rack and the top browned before the bottom was thoroughly baked. Wonderful flavor, I'll definitely make again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!