Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
All the colours of the Italian flag come together in this beautiful salad. This is great for potluck dinners and summer barbecues. This recipe was passed on to me from my sister's sister-in-law.
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, diced and undrained
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 450 g penne pasta
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 small zucchini, unpeeled and shredded
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, diced (optional)
- In large bowl, mix the undrained tomatoes, oil, parsley, basil, salt and garlic.
- Let stand at room temperature 2 hours.
- Cook pasta and drain but do not rinse.
- While pasta is still warm, toss in mozzarella cheese and it will partially melt.
- Add zucchini and tomato mixture and stir gently.
- Add feta cheese and black olives, if using.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours to chill and allow flavours to blend.