Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A hearty chicken soup recipe that has been passed down from Great Grandma. Hopefully, you will have leftovers because this is one soup that you will enjoy over and over. It is perfect all year round but especially on a cold winter's day.
- 1 roasting chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 rutabaga, chopped
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 6 sprigs dill
- water, to cover
- 1 (32 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup tubetti pasta, cooked according to package directions
- In large pot, cover chicken with water. Add onion, parsnip, rutabaga, celery, carrot, potato (if desired) parsley and dill to water. Bring water to boil. Lower temperature to simmer and cook until chicken is tender.
- When tender, remove chicken from pot. Be especially sure that there are no bones left in the bottom of the pot. When cool, remove chicken from bones and cut into small bite-sized pieces. Return chicken pieces to pot and add crushed tomatoes to water. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes to "marry" flavors.
- Add pasta to the bottom of individual bowls and pour soup on top.
- Top with dumplings if desired.